httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Random 404's" on FreeBSD
Date Tue, 23 Apr 1996 10:53:29 GMT
>> I have seen this before -- it is due to some browsers' inability
>> to handle relative URLs after a redirect.  Please note that the URL
>> is INCORRECT! It should always be
> Where is this stated? I had a problem with NCSA 1.5 last week where a
> perfectly valid page was being returned as raw HTML and removing the
> trailing slash fixed it. I then re-read your RFC 1808 and couldn't find
> anything about trailing / anywhere.

It should be stated in the Apache documentation -- it is a feature of
the server's URL -> resource mapping and not a requirement of the protocol.
Because "/" represents hierarchy (NOT directory), the two URLs above
represent two different resources, only one of which is actually
available on the Apache server (other servers may differ).

If the client properly implements relative URLs, there is no visible
problem other than the delay and cost of redirecting the first URL
to the second.  The problem is if the client does not change its
base URL after the redirect (violating a requirement in RFC 1808).

Like all standard specs, RFC 1808 is no substitute for documentation.
It represents a treaty between warring parties, rather than a recipe
for lasting peace.

View raw message