httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Random 404's" on FreeBSD
Date Mon, 22 Apr 1996 03:43:00 GMT
>>Submitter: dpp@inlink.com
>>Operating system: FreeBSD, version: 2.2
>>Version of Apache Used: 1.0.3
>>Extra Modules used:
>>URL exhibiting problem: http://www.inlink.com/~creative
>>
>>Symptoms:
>>--
>>Pages randomly generate a 404 error - mostly on
>>densly decorated pages and during peak times.
>>No error is reported in the logs. users see the
>>errors - staff RARELY does (of course)

I have seen this before -- it is due to some browsers' inability
to handle relative URLs after a redirect.  Please note that the URL

    http://www.inlink.com/~creative

is INCORRECT! It should always be

    http://www.inlink.com/~creative/

There is nothing the server software can do to fix this problem.
I do suggest, however, that ALL of your references to the above site
be changed to use the correct URL (with trailing slash).  Using the
correct reference will eventually reduce the problem.

 ...Roy T. Fielding
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92717-3425    fax:+1(714)824-4056
    http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/