httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: conditional HTML
Date Mon, 15 Apr 1996 20:42:37 GMT
> Ben> I hate configure command-line options ... when you come round to
> Ben> do it again in 6 months you invariably forget what they should
> Ben> be.
> There's always "configure --help" to let you see the allowable
> options.  That plus a README describing known peculiarities of certain
> machines is about as good as it can get for some things.

Yeah, but it doesn't stick. At least when I edit Configuration it stays put.
It isn't a question of which options are available, its a question of figuring
out which ones you need. I might add that "configure --help" actually doesn't
help much in my experience.

Installation directories are a particularly good example. There is no "right"
way to do it, and reproducing the same different way as last time can only be
described as painful.

I'm not saying that configure isn't a wonderful thing ... in many ways it is,
just that points like these detract from the overall effect. Perhaps a
combination of the two mechanisms is the way forward?

> Tom
> --
>                 Member, League for Programming Freedom

Technical Director          Email: