httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: netscape keepalive windoze bug
Date Mon, 08 Apr 1996 20:22:37 GMT

> > Grrk.
> >
> > I've reported this to Netscape already. I've also pointed Rob McCool at it, who
> > said they were "looking into it". On ssl-talk Netscape acknowledged a bug with
> > keepalive and SSL but I don't know if this is really the same bug.
> >
> > Anyway, any server doing keepalive and dropping connections from the server
> > end will cause the problem. Just wait until the server drops the connection
> > and the next request (to the same server) hangs.
> >
> 	Jeff told me that they don't see the problem with Netscape and
> Microsoft servers. Do both those servers not drop connections from the
> server end?

Sorry, been away for the weekend. I approached this from the stance that it
was an Apache bug and did lots of code reading and even network tracing. As far
as I can tell, Apache drops the connection in a perfectly normal and
straightforward way. It may be a fault of the TCP/IP stack (Microsoft) rather
than Netscape, of course.

I've also seen the problem with that new "fastest in the world" server ...
Zeus, was it?

Cheers,

Ben.

> --
> Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
> Community ConneXion, Inc.			FAX:     510-601-9734
> The Internet Privacy Provider			Dialin:  510-658-6376
> http://www.c2.net/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.net

London, England.