httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache on CD
Date Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:54:18 GMT

> > FreeBSD is unusual in that it's a WC created CDROM. Most of their
> > releases are by external authors. I'm not really sure whether they'd
> > be interested in another such project although I think they do host
> > the povray development box as well so you could ask them.
>
> 	The FreeBSD project gets out of this that Jordan (and other
> freebsd people, I think.) is a fte of CDROM, and that CDROM hosts the
> FreeBSD servers, etc. Right?

Not quite. Some FreeBSD people have got jobs at WC but that's their own
business and nothing to do with FreeBSD (it obviously got them the
job but they aren't there to work on FreeBSD). Jordan's a bit different
since the FreeBSD cdrom is his responsibility so he obviously works a lot
on FreeBSD. On the flip side, a lot of the technically astute people
at WC ended up in the FreeBSD project as well.

The deal is that we get a machine (or two) and the use of their T1.
There have been a few other perks as well, like they've paid for quite
a few members to get together at various times and there's been the
occasional handout to some people too. I don't think FreeBSD is making
WC rich because it's an expensive cdrom to produce since they provide
the project with a lot of financial support. I doubt they'd want to
take on another project on that basis. There's no formal agreement for
any of this though so there's not exactly a "deal" as such.

I think they'd be more than happy to take a cdrom image off you and
distribute an Apache cdrom, it being the most popular server in the
world and everything.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155