httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: ScriptAlias-like extensions for perl etc
Date Sat, 27 Apr 1996 13:02:19 GMT
Tony Sanders liltingly intones:

> Rob Hartill writes:
> > All my CGI is in perl :-)   and the scripts are pretty big 1000-2000
> > lines each. One thing I already do is pre-process the "requires" lines
> > of my scripts so that the stuff in the script dirs already has the
> > require'd modules embedded in the main file... saves me ~10 file open/reads
> > per CGI call.
>
> What you *really* want is to design a protocol for sending CGI data
> (possibly with some extensions) over a socket to a coopertating daemon.
>
> That way you can write server co-daemons.  No exec'ing!!
>
> mod_perl is ok for perl stuff but co-daemons would solve the problem
> in a generic fashion.
>
> Hope this inspires someone :-)

We are already doing this here. Protocol is pretty trivial, and I'm sure
it won't suffice for all applications. It's not yet a persistent agent,
either, though it will be soon. That is, it fires up a connect per
message to the cooperating daemon. That will be fixed in the next
version, and then it might be suitable for what Rob describes.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Adolescence, n.:
	The stage between puberty and adultery.