httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: ScriptAlias-like extensions for perl etc
Date Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:41:54 GMT

> What you *really* want is to design a protocol for sending CGI data
> (possibly with some extensions) over a socket to a coopertating daemon.
> That way you can write server co-daemons.  No exec'ing!!

I'm missing something. If you have a CGI daemon (say for perl) sitting
waiting for requests, then it'll need to fork children to process each
request (unless you queue them - hmm, yuck). But you do save on the
initial perl startup/parsing.

> mod_perl is ok for perl stuff but co-daemons would solve the problem
> in a generic fashion.
> Hope this inspires someone :-)

At first glance, from a perl prespective this doesn't sound too
complicated. Let's get a feel for what's needed;

Talking to a perl daemon Apache needs a way to send environment
variables to give to the 'CGI script'. If (as I suspect) env vars
can't contain line feeds, then they can be sent in a HTTP-header-like

PATH_INFO: /foo/bar

here's the POST data

All the perl CGI scripts can be made into subroutines so that they're

Hmmmm. Maybe I should have a stab at that this weekend.
Before I do, I'm pretty sure that someone mentioned a prototype
along these lines. Was it called a CGI-pipe?

View raw message