httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: ScriptAlias-like extensions for perl etc
Date Fri, 26 Apr 1996 09:41:29 GMT

> Rob> CGIBinary /usr/local/bin/perl pl
> Rob> DefaultBinary /usr/local/bin/perl
>
> Rob> or something along those lines.
>
> Rob> thoughts?
>
> I don't have any thoughts on the specific change you suggest.  I'm
> just curious to know if you tried using mod_perl.  I wonder what the
> speed improvement there would be like.

Me too. I didn't get an answer (that I saw) when I asked for a pointer
a couple of days back. I went to the author's pages but didn't find it,
and Alta Vista's update-to-date'ness has slipped a bit so, no luck there
either.

> I realize this isn't a generic solution.  But if you do write a lot of
> CGIs in Perl, it might be a pretty good solution.

All my CGI is in perl :-)   and the scripts are pretty big 1000-2000
lines each. One thing I already do is pre-process the "requires" lines
of my scripts so that the stuff in the script dirs already has the
require'd modules embedded in the main file... saves me ~10 file open/reads
per CGI call.