httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: ScriptAlias-like extensions for perl etc
Date Fri, 26 Apr 1996 14:57:00 GMT

> What'd be nice would be things like,
>
> CGIBinary /usr/local/bin/perl pl
> DefaultBinary /usr/local/bin/perl
>
> or something along those lines.
>

> thoughts?

The server I run in production has a heavily modified exec()
routine that all things call to do an exec(). It would lend
itself to this task quite nicely.

Being able to switch user ID's for script execution has never
been well received by this group for obvious reasons. I do
feel however that the usefulness of this type of feature is
hard to ignore and will not go away. The changes I have made
could seriously benefit from greater scrutiny by the group,
I am sure.

In some ways, my changes improve security since the server
is now *much* more careful about what it executes.

Life would sure be much easier if the group could consider
supporting seteuid()in the server.