httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Corporate America and Apache
Date Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:23:49 GMT

> > port.... but I can get a connection.  Is this a bug from somewhere?  Should
> > two processes be able to grab the same port?
> >

> 	Two processes can't grab the same address.port, but one
> process can grab *.port and another can grab address.port. The one
> that grabs address.port *should* have precedence. I haven't heard of
> any kernels for which this isn't the case, but maybe this behavior is
> "fixed" in linux because it is a "security hole".

I seem to remember it was "fixed" in Linux.

We put a different fix in FreeBSD which only allows this behaviour
if the processes have the same uid so Apache (as well as many other
daemons that rely on this behaviour) still work.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155