httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.org>
Subject Re: Corporate America and Apache
Date Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:45:30 GMT
> port.... but I can get a connection.  Is this a bug from somewhere?  Should
> two processes be able to grab the same port?

	Two processes can't grab the same address.port, but one
process can grab *.port and another can grab address.port. The one
that grabs address.port *should* have precedence. I haven't heard of
any kernels for which this isn't the case, but maybe this behavior is
"fixed" in linux because it is a "security hole".

	(You can subvert NFS if you have a user account on the NFS
server.. NFS traditionally binds to *.2049, so if your user process
binds to address.2049 then you can respond to NFS requests yourself.)

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
http://www.c2.net/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.net