httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: 1.1b2
Date Wed, 24 Apr 1996 13:06:21 GMT

> > >Sounds like we're all in agreement about cgi-src/cgi-bin - perhaps this
> > >distribution can be the first without it?
> >
> > -1
> >
> > Let clean out the fluff, but keep some of the basic scripts. jj.c and
> > phf.c should definately get nuked. Things like test-cgi and query.c
> > should stay. I think they can be used as basic diagnose tools by the
> > webmaster for a new setup. What are the thoughts on change-passwd.c and
> > the other scripts?
>
> I completely agree, most of the new "webmasters" just run apache, and first
> they do is run netscape on the same machine to see if apache is working...
> And I get questions like, "apache must be broken, netscape took 5 minutes to
> load my 8 mb machine...".   What I usually tell them is that they can just
> telnet localhost 80  and do a get for /cgi-bin/test-cgi  to see if everything
> is working.. that's I belive the easiest way to see what you have, and what's
> working.

I don't think we should ship anything we don't actively maintain.

A much better way of doing what you want it to supply some html welcome
pages and install them into the document root. Then the first time you
fire up a browser to the server you get some documentation about Apache.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155