httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aram Mirzadeh <>
Subject Re: 1.1b2
Date Wed, 24 Apr 1996 01:36:16 GMT
> >Sounds like we're all in agreement about cgi-src/cgi-bin - perhaps this
> >distribution can be the first without it?
> -1
> Let clean out the fluff, but keep some of the basic scripts. jj.c and
> phf.c should definately get nuked. Things like test-cgi and query.c
> should stay. I think they can be used as basic diagnose tools by the
> webmaster for a new setup. What are the thoughts on change-passwd.c and
> the other scripts?

I completely agree, most of the new "webmasters" just run apache, and first
they do is run netscape on the same machine to see if apache is working...
And I get questions like, "apache must be broken, netscape took 5 minutes to
load my 8 mb machine...".   What I usually tell them is that they can just
telnet localhost 80  and do a get for /cgi-bin/test-cgi  to see if everything
is working.. that's I belive the easiest way to see what you have, and what's

 * Aram Mirzadeh, MIS Manager, Qosina Corp.
 * Apache Development Team,
 * "Prizes are for children." -- Chrales Ives, upon being given, but refusing,
 *                                the Pulitzer prize

View raw message