httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "mod_status.c doesn't compile" on SunOS 4.x
Date Tue, 23 Apr 1996 18:23:37 GMT
Randy Terbush liltingly intones:

> > > That's funny... the SunOS release I'm running (4.1.4) was released,
> > > by Sun, well after Solaris was *long* in the field.  There isn't much
> > > they can do about their previous releases, but that's not what we're
> > > talking about here.
> >
> > Anyone got an old K&R or access to older unix systems, BSD 4.2 or earlier
> > or early AT&T based systems? I suspect this is a hangover from before
> > the ideas of grand unification or even C standardisation rather than
> > some OS vendors simply getting it wrong.
> >
> > So you're still being unfair. I don't think Sun deliberately changed
> > that to be against the standard I think they inherited it that way in
> > their original sources and their stuck with it now because changing it
> > would break all existing SunOS 4.x binaries. Since Randy's shown a Dell
> > system with the same I suspect this was in early BSD versions but I can't
> > find old enough references quickly.
>
> That was a SunOS 4.1.3 manpage that I sent to the list. I remember
> encountering the same incompatibility between Dell SVR4 and HPUX.

My portability notes say that the return type of sprintf() not only
varies, but has often gone undocumented, and shouldn't be used.
That said, if we must rely on the return type, it'll have to go on a
case-by-case basis.

My old K&R has no mention of return type of sprintf().

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one.
		-- Phil White