httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "mod_status.c doesn't compile" on SunOS 4.x
Date Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:19:13 GMT

> That's funny... the SunOS release I'm running (4.1.4) was released,
> by Sun, well after Solaris was *long* in the field.  There isn't much
> they can do about their previous releases, but that's not what we're
> talking about here.

Anyone got an old K&R or access to older unix systems, BSD 4.2 or earlier
or early AT&T based systems? I suspect this is a hangover from before
the ideas of grand unification or even C standardisation rather than
some OS vendors simply getting it wrong.

So you're still being unfair. I don't think Sun deliberately changed
that to be against the standard I think they inherited it that way in
their original sources and their stuck with it now because changing it
would break all existing SunOS 4.x binaries. Since Randy's shown a Dell
system with the same I suspect this was in early BSD versions but I can't
find old enough references quickly.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155