httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: removal of cgi-bin and cgi-src
Date Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:04:45 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> > Folks, we have a problem.  We do not consider the code we distribute in
> > the cgi-src and cgi-bin directories as supported Apache code.  This has
> > not been a conscious decision, but more a reflection of the fact that
> > very few of us actually use it or care about it.  Yet, it is being
> > bundled with our software
>
> +1
>
> At the very least (and I've mentioned this before), all programs must
> be removed from cgi-bin and left non-executable in cgi-src.  Users
> should never be encouraged to install a CGI script, and should only
> be allowed to do so by conscious action.

Maybe we should just remove the cgi-bin/cgi-src (and possibly some of
the support) files from the distribution bundle, but keep them in a seperate
directory on ftp.apache.org so that people who WANT to grab them, can
get them at the same place they grab apache from.

Distributing the code _with_ Apache does make it appear that they are
"official" Apache programs... I still think it might be a good idea to
make them available, but not bundled with the server itself.