httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: removal of cgi-bin and cgi-src
Date Tue, 23 Apr 1996 00:59:28 GMT

> Folks, we have a problem.  We do not consider the code we distribute in
> the cgi-src and cgi-bin directories as supported Apache code.  This has
> not been a conscious decision, but more a reflection of the fact that
> very few of us actually use it or care about it.  Yet, it is being
> bundled with our software, and when there is a security warning or
> problem with the software, the chinese wall inside our heads is not
> relevant.  So, I propose that we remove the cgi-bin and cgi-src
> directories - optionally, we can add a text file pointing to the more
> common CGI resources out there.  There are only three files we have added
> to the cgi-src directory - animate.c (a server-push CGI script), count.c
> (a server-side counter) and random.c (a random-URL generator).  Those
> could either be packaged separately or pointed at elsewhere.
>
> Other opinions?
>
> 	Brian

All of this stuff is of questionable importance to the server project.
Certainly not important enough to get drug through the mud over.
I would vote to axe it and blame it's absence on the lawyers of the
world...

Laura may have suggestions later about some basic scripts to
check out server functionality.