httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Further evidence of configure's shortcomings
Date Fri, 19 Apr 1996 15:50:48 GMT
>> Try compiling patch 2.1 under Irix 5.3. You end up with alloca unresolved.
>> And configure has even tested for it (it claims).
>>
>> Its this kind of thing that winds me up about configure.

rasmus> This generally has nothing to do with configure.

This is correct.  configure is just a tool to help solve portability
problems.  The programmer must still provide the solutions.

All the checking in the world does no good if you just ignore the
checks.

Likewise, configure itself is useless unless you actually check for
the problems your code encounters.  Eg you can blindly use getcwd() if
you want, but then your code will just not compile on machines with
getwd() and not getcwd().  You can hardly blame configure for this --
the same problem would hold for any configuration system.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom