httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: conditional HTML
Date Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:43:33 GMT
  Wouldn't it be neater to have configure reuse (some of) the flags unless
  told not to?

I'll second this.  As long as we're grousing, a similar, well, glitch
is the way it reruns all the tests even when (IMHO) it ought to be
able to determine that nothing relevant has changed --- in particular,
when all that is different is --prefix.  (I often do test builds to
install in an out-of-the-way directory, and then have to reconfigure
when I want to install the thing for real.  It's easier to just test
in the build directory when you can, but packages which put critical
stuff in $(PREFIX)/lib sometimes don't allow that).

BTW, regarding configure --help, I can think of two ways it could be
more helpful: it could list environment arguments, which are the
things I find myself most often wanting to override for code which I'm
actively developing (CFLAGS=-pg, "CC=purify gcc", that sort of thing);
also, it could put the package-specific options at the top, rather
than the bottom, of a very long list.

rst