httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject WWW Form Bug Report: "Core dumps on top bit set URLs when trying to find correct language" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Tue, 16 Apr 1996 14:51:17 GMT

not acked

From: nickc@liv.ac.uk
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Date: Tue Apr 16  7:45:14 1996
Subject: WWW Form Bug Report: "Core dumps on top bit set URLs when trying to find correct
language" on SunOS 4.x

Submitter: nickc@liv.ac.uk
Operating system: SunOS 4.x, version:
Extra Modules used: agent_log_module referer_log_module
URL exhibiting problem: http://paris.esc.liv.ac.uk:8080/G/-----.----

Symptoms:
--
(Sorry about the lack of formatting)
Server sometimes coredumps when requesting URLs with top bit set characters in the URLS

I thought at first it was Microsoft Internet Explorer, as it requests a prefered language.
I captured its request

GET /G/-----.---- HTTP/1.0
Accept: */*, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/gif

Netscape doesn't ask for a language (as you can see this is a test server):

GET /-----.---- HTTP/1.0
Connection: Keep-Alive
Host: uxe.liv.ac.uk:2345
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

but Netscape got upset and seems to have crashed it just now.
I think top bit set URLs are OK, according to the HTTP 3.0 spec.
(But Mac Netscape cocks up! - I think Mac Netscape convertes the document to
Apple's charset, then attempts to request things with the converted URL, rather
than the orginal ISO-Latin1 URL)

The URL will probably crash me, but the problem seems to be repeatable, so
you should be able to crash your own server if you make a make a file
with a nasty name.

(Or is it my fault for starting httpd from a cron job, where
(presumably) the LC_CTYPE is unset, and Sun OS is assuming 7 bits?)

--

Backtrace:
--
(dbx) where
warning: core file read error: address not in data space

--

----- End of forwarded message from nickc@liv.ac.uk -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)