httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: bytes_sent?
Date Fri, 12 Apr 1996 15:47:04 GMT

--
   long int bytes_sent;
   if (r->sent_bodyct)

I can't speak for sameer, but I really don't regard this as an
acceptable answer.  There are certainly things in the API which ought
to change, at some point.  However, a lot of people have coded to the
1.0 API at this point, and gratuitous incompatibility will only cause
them unnecessary pain.  Unless there is some *reason* why r->bytes_sent
would be difficult or impossible to support in a future version of the
server, it should remain, and remain valid.

I would have spoken up earlier about this, but it seems that the
people doing these "minor changes" didn't always bother to mention
them at the time, and even after I became aware of them, I was only
aware of one or two, and I thought we could let that slide.  However,
new ones just keep cropping up.

I hate to say this, but I don't think we should do a 1.1 public
release of *any* kind until we at least have a list of the
incompatibilites, and I would prefer to put it off until the ones
without some concrete, sensible justification have been done away
with.

rst