httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: conditional HTML
Date Wed, 10 Apr 1996 18:10:19 GMT
Randy> One thought that I have had in the back of my mind is to split
Randy> the modules into their own directory. Teaching configure to
Randy> build a list from the modules in this directory, and perhaps a
Randy> --with tag to point it to a directory full of local modules
Randy> would do the trick.

Solving the "modules problem" turns out to be hard.  At least, no one
seems to have come up with a really good solution yet.

* Python does essentially what my modified Apache does -- there is a
modules file you edit before configuring and building.

* Guile has a separate subdirectory for each module.  Any
subdirectories present at configure time are configured and compiled
in.  Guile modules tend to be fairly heavyweight.

* Tcl pretty much lets modules fend for themselves.  Each new module
requires relinking the main application.  At least, this is the case
if you don't have dynamic loading capabilities.

Dynamic loading presents a good solution for machines that have it.
All modules (including extension modules) can be compiled and
installed; modules are loaded on demand.  Yes, I know about Apache's
dld module.  dld isn't portable enough to be a good solution.

The problem with using --with options to configure is that it doesn't
scale well to a large number of modules.

Right now, you can drop mod_foo.c into the src directory, edit it into
Modules, and it will be automatically handled.  The only problem is
that non-core modules with their own portability requirement will
either require a change to configure.in (meaning the builder must have
autoconf -- ugh), or their own configure script (which isn't handled
right now).

For now it is simpler to just ignore the problem.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom