httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: mod_negotiation on AddHandler
Date Tue, 09 Apr 1996 23:57:28 GMT
  for some reason, whomever wrote
  mod_negotation caused it to skip files without content types. It's a
  simple fix, and I've just fixed and committed it.

The reason is to keep editor backups, foo.gif.bak files left by paint
programs, and the like, from getting picked up and treated by default
as text/plain variants --- something which annoyed the hell out of me
when I first did the content negotation code.  (Actually, this was
done at drtr's suggestion --- my first approach to the problem was
to have MultiViews ignore files whose names matched an IndexIgnore
wildcard, which violates modularity and is generally ugly as hell.
This was in the very early days --- around 0.3 or 0.4).

Fortunately, your fix should deal with this case correctly.

   --- the guy who wrote it.