httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: conditional HTML
Date Tue, 09 Apr 1996 23:46:32 GMT
Rob> Patching the Makefile to get it to work is a pain. Perhaps its
Rob> mod_include.c could just #include "regexp.c"' to save that
Rob> hassle. It'd then become a standalone module...

This seems like a good place to enter: I've modified Apache (1.0.3) to
use Autoconf for configuration and and Automake to generate the
Makefiles.  (A side note: the version of Automake I've used is not yet
released.  It should be released sometime this week)

In this framework, making a change such as the above becomes pretty
easy.  For instance, the way things are set up right now, configure
will only look for -lndbm if the auth_dbm module is specified in the
Modules file.  Adding more special cases is simple.

This work is available at:

	ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/tromey/apache-1.0.3.tar.gz

I'm happy to answer any questions about this work.  When 1.1 comes
out, I'll most likely be updating all the configuration stuff (we need
it to fit apache into our tree)

For those used to GNU configure, the only change here is that you must
edit the Modules file before running configure.  If you are compiling
in a non-source directory, you can copy the Modules file into your
build directory before proceeding.  This isn't ideal, but having a lot
of --with-foo options wasn't very appealing either.  I also
experimented with a --with-modules=LIST option, but that wasn't
satisfactory.  Ideas solicited.

I'm hoping, of course, that this will eventually make it into the
Apache distribution.  For those who need convincing, I can extoll the
virtues of configure, and list ways in which it is better than the
current ad-hoc system.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom

PS Since it is not yet widely known, here is a little blurb about
Automake:  Automake is a tool to generate GNU-standards-compliant
Makefiles from short template files named "Makefile.am".  The intent
is to reduce the burden of Makefile maintenance to almost nil.
Although still a work in progress, Automake has been adopted by
several projects (both GNU and not).  It is available from:

	ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/tromey/automake.tar.gz