httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: patch for Search, POST-Script, etc...
Date Mon, 08 Apr 1996 18:37:17 GMT
sameer on Alexi:
> > I'm kinda torn on this. One one side, I agree that the names are a bit
> > lacking, asthetically, but on the other hand, they are the names that
> > the CERN httpd uses (used?), so it makes some sense to use the same
> > names...
>
> 	I don't think so. CERN is old and ugly. Do we want to emulate
> an old and ugly server? I think most people using the functionality in
> Apache will not be familiar with the CERN directives, so we won't win.

Do you want to emulate CERN with respect to the configuration file
layout?  If so then it makes sense to use the same directives, or
at least document that the directive names have been changed to
make them more Apache-esque while the semantics remain CERNish.

If CERN users are looking for an excuse to switch to Apache, as
many are, then it will not hurt to make life easier for them by
providing an interface to the server which they are familiar with.

If you *don't* want to emulate CERN, or if you don't care about
making life easer for people to port their CERN legacy code to
Apache then etc...

[there are 12 thousand CERN sites out there]

> Sameer Parekh

Cheers,
Ay.