httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mod_status
Date Tue, 02 Apr 1996 10:10:56 GMT
Mark J Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > The thought occurs to me that it would be nice if we could save
> > state by writing the scoreboard file to disk, and reloading it
> > at startup....
>
> Yes, this is the one difficulty - you lose all your nice information when
> the server dies or is HUPd.  At telescope.org a cron job runs a Perl
> script every 3 minutes and obtains the "status?auto" page.  It gets all
> the figures and sticks them on one line.  It appends this to a log file of
> todays date.  Using this file you can then draw the pretty graphs and
> analyse how many requests/bytes you are serving per minute. I'll finish
> tidying it and stick in in /support/ along with the graph stuff to follow
> later still.
>
> The only concern I have is that the scoreboard now consists of over a
> hundred bytes per process;  I wonder what the performance hit is on this
> with non-memory scoreboards.  If it isn't much we could remove the
> STATUS_INSTRUMENTATION defines.

For at least right now, maybe it's a good idea to keep STATUS_INS as
a compilable option, esp with 1.1 being released RealSoonNow. We would
then be able to get a better feel for how many people are still using
(or need) file-based scoreboards. I'm guessing that the performance hit
is bigger comparing file-based to memory-based rather than file-based-with-
a-small-scoreboard to file-based-with-a-little-bit-bigger-scoreboard.

I took a quick look last night and it didn't seem to difficult at all
to add this capability (ie dumping scoreboard at exit and reading the
dump at start)... I'll start working up a patch.