httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dgau...@hotwired.com (Dean Gaudet)
Subject Re: on fopen() vs. open()
Date Thu, 11 Apr 1996 21:49:12 GMT
In article <199604101815.LAA08116@atropos.c2.org> you write:
>	It uses stdio for that? I suppose it would. Well that just sucks.
>I guess we should just wait for a fix from Sun.

You can use fcntl( F_DUPFD ) to dup everything that doesn't use FILE *
above 256. That keeps space down below 256 for the possible cases where
you'll need a FILE *.

Or you could use gnu libc.  Or one of the few stdio replacements there are
out there...

Is it really an option to open/close error log?  Doesn't that assume
the server is running as root -- or at least can write the log directory...
and it's gotta be more expensive than doing an F_DUPFD.  ... hey! you
could keep all the log files open above 256 and F_DUPFD them below 256
and fdopen them :)

Dean