httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: slight API change
Date Sun, 10 Mar 1996 15:13:00 GMT

>> Hmm... should we ask to have a patch number included in each of the commit
>> entries made so we all know what patch we're talking about?   So if you want
>> to commit a patch, in your log entry, add ( PATCH 1.1b0a - #1234 )  - list
>> of changes, and other info?
>>
>> Otherwise how are we going to know which patch we're voting on?
>
>I don't see it working like that. When it comes to voting on the suitability
>of the tree for a snaphsot release you either think it's basically in
>good shape or you don't. if you don't think it's in good enough shape to
>release then simply state why you think so. There won't be any need to
>specify the exact commit that you disagree with.

This completely ignores a very important method of Apache testing; other
programmers actually examining the changes that a patch makes.

This validation is quite different from simple minded testing of an
Apache distribtion as a black box; whilst more time consuming it can
result it a better product.

With CVS, programmers have to actively find someone to look at their code;
previously the diffs were easily available to all for other programmers
to examine.

 David.