httpd-dev mailing list archives

From d...@ast.cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)
Subject Re: Scoreboard and sites...
Date Mon, 04 Mar 1996 13:27:00 GMT
>So, www.mit.edu is now running Apache 1.1b0 (which I patched to
>include the bind Listen feature), listening on both ports 80 and 8001.
>
>The question I've run into is: where is my scoreboard file hiding?
>I've tried it with both an explicit ScoreBoardFile directive and
>without.  In both cases, no scoreboard file shows up and no error
>shows up in the error_log.  This is running SunOS 4.1.4.  I failed to
>find any ScoreBoard file documentation on the site at all.

I didn't expect anyone to actually use this feature...

There is a potential race condition in the implementation of listening
on multiple ports; there isn't a lock around select. The problem that
could occur is that two children are waiting (with select()) for
connections on port 80 and 8001; a connection is received on port 80,
and _both_ children might return from select() and call accept(). One
child will receive the connection, and the other will be stuck waiting
for another connection on port 80 _only_.

I doubt it would be a big problem, especially if another connection
to port 80 is imminent.

 David.