httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Obscure MTU problem
Date Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:17:50 GMT
On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Nope. SCO 5 (as I mentioned in the original message).

Well, and another to the list...

> > BTW it could also be an ICMP problem at any router, path MTU detection
> > must get back an ICMP messages.  Beware of firewalls :)
>
> Heh! The first thing I checked was ICMP on the firewall - it lets it through.

So it's the ISP thing.  Something in the route is messed up, to find it:

Do a traceroute to get a list of hosts that the packet hops to.

One by one, do a ping with a large packet size (like 2k) and see where it
stops.  I've done this before it is a pain, even more so when the guy who
owns the box has no idea of what you are talking about.  Optionally you
may be able to turn off path MTU discovery, but that's the easy way out.

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick                                      cliff@organic.com

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759