httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Skolnick <cl...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Obscure MTU problem
Date Tue, 26 Mar 1996 01:28:45 GMT

Yep...the braindead ISP are not changing the livingston default MTU from
1006 to something reasonable for a slip line.  The thing is that many BSD
based SLIP implementations use a cluster of MBUFs to hold a complete packet.
When you use CSLIP, you need 128 bytes to hold the extra header info.

SO:

Normal cluster mbuf size = 1024

Overhead for CSLIP needs 128

max MTU for the slip line can only be 1024-128, oops :)

I have a competent ISP and they still mess up my line every once and a while.
Since you are using a >512 MTU for remote hosts I assume you are using
solaris, BSDI 2.1, or possibly a new IRIX os with dynamic path MTU detection.

BTW it could also be an ICMP problem at any router, path MTU detection
must get back an ICMP messages.  Beware of firewalls :)

Cliff

--
Cliff Skolnick                                      cliff@organic.com

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759