httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: MIME types
Date Tue, 19 Mar 1996 02:18:23 GMT
On Mon, 18 Mar 1996, Richard Freilich wrote:
> This DOES however bring up a strange point.  Weird as it MAY be, as soon
> as I remove the executable bits from the file, (tried this on receipt of
> your message), the server serves it as an x-director file.  Does ANYBODY
> know what's going on here?  :)  If anybody wants a summary to try to
> (guess) figure out what's going on, I'll provide one.

This makes purrfect sense - a well known "bug" (hopefully no one's
relying upon this as a feature, oy!) is that when Xbithack is enabled,
*any* file with X bits set (except for CGI files, yes?) is assumed to be
a file for the server to parse for SSI includes.

If this is what caused it, then I submit to the developer's group that we
might as well swallow the "it's a hack anyways" opinion and make it do a
content-type check to make sure only files designated "text/html" get the
bithack applied.

	Brian