httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: PR & 1.1b1
Date Tue, 19 Mar 1996 00:22:06 GMT
On Sun, 17 Mar 1996, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:
> I'd hate to spend/waste any time on it; but I do think it would
> be good to do... it might enable some of us to devote more time
> on the project, as upper management does like those things.

Just to chime in - I totally agree, but I think we should wait until the 
official, bug-squished release of 1.1 is out.  There are a couple 
features from HTTP 1.1 I would like to put in before 1.1 is out (such as 
support for the Host header, at least, and revamped content negotiation 
as a far point).  I think waiting a few weeks will also be good - I've 
been talking to the predominant company which provides commercial-grade 
support for freeware about Apache, and they'll probably be more ready to 
announce their support packages in a few weeks, and including them, 
ukweb, and a couple other companies which provide commercial support on a 
press release would probably be a really good thing too.  Maybe in that 
release we can announce ApacheNT too.  :)

Also, I'm hesitant to make a big fuss about a new version of Apache until 
we have it multithreading - while trying to convince a number of large 
sites to use Apache recently a lot of them really wanted a multithreading 
server, and were choosing Spinner over others because of it.  Is 
multithreading still a goal of ours?  Is it too much work at this point?  
Will we do it?  Is someone willing to shepherd the process? 

Finally, I know the SSL support issue is rather political at the 
moment... I hope we can put down our guns and see things from other 
people's perspectives for a bit, and perhaps try and think of the best 
way to solve this from a technological perspective.  All I know is having 
Sameer, Ben, and others maintain parallel dispartate code trees is not an 
ideal situation - is the protocol API we had discussed still a 
possibility?

	Brian


--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
brian@organic.com  brian@hyperreal.com  http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/


Mime
View raw message