httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark J Cox <m...@ukweb.com>
Subject Status Module
Date Mon, 25 Mar 1996 09:49:15 GMT
Ben has finished reviewing the Status module I mentioned on this list a
few weeks ago and made some great additions.  With the scoreboard files
now hidden away in shared memory it seemed a good time to release this
module (I've been using it since I wrote it in November)

It is difficult for me to upload the patches to this list as there has
been a lot of changes to the Apache core code recently that have affected
the patches.  I will make the additions to CVS shortly to allow easy
testing but I'm willing to remove them before we go public with 1.1.

Without changing the scoreboard file, the status module allows you to
examine the current scoreboard status and other simple statistics.

With changes to the scoreboard file, the status module allows you to see
what each child is doing, how many hits it has had, the total access
count, the percentage CPU in use by Apache and more.  A number of months
ago there was mention that the scoreboard file should be kept small and so
I've made the scoreboard file changes a compile-time define. With the
increasing number of machines that can now keep the scoreboard in shared
memory this should become less of a problem.

Modifications to core Apache

	A few new routines have been added to http_main.c to enable
	a module to find out more data from the scoreboard.  A new
	server state has been added to distinguish between "reading
	request" and "serving request".

	A compile time define enables extra instrumentation inside
	the scoreboard file.

I've written some initial documentation,

	http://www.apache.org/docs/1.1/mod_status.html

Mark