httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: MD5 Digest auth and other things...
Date Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:11:13 GMT
On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Calculating the MD5 is an expensive process, like parsing for META, and
> thus should only be done if there is some kind of caching of the
> values (as in a meta table, or .meta files).  In general, it would only
> be generated by servers that *really* care about message integrity
> or which already know it for free.

Right. The only reason I put the config option into the patch was because
it was a couple extra lines, and someone might actually find it useful. I
wasn't planning on documenting it much or at all. But I don't think it
hurts anything. (if it does, I'll take it out) You're right though that
.meta files are certainly a more efficient way of doing this.

> Content-MD5 is defined by RFC 1864 <http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1864.txt>

Thanks.

--// Alexei Kosut // <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> // Lefler on IRC --//
-----------------// <http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut> -------//
"To get the full effect of Pat Buchanan's speeches, they should be
read in the original German." //--------------------------------------