httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Additional comments on the Host: header.... (fwd)
Date Thu, 21 Mar 1996 02:55:06 GMT
On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:

> That is the deifinition of new; what I mean, at no cost we can make the
> software understand both 1 *and* 0 without flagging an error. That makes
> (for now) the transition smoothly. We could have a flag in http.conf
> like 'HTTP_Trasition On/Off'. Which would rule wether an error is flagged
> for the x=0 and y=1:

You might be interested to know that someone over on http-wg (don't know
if you're a member) - several people in fact - called you an idiot. At
least, that's how they reffered to a server manufacturer who put an option
as to whether or not the error is returned or not in their configuration.

My take on this is that we shouldn't implement HTTP/1.1 features until
the WG has hashed out the details, at least well enough that we can be
reasonably sure the spec won't change between now and July (or whenever
it is they want the final version to be done by nowadays). And besides,
implementing parts of 1.1 features but not all could be dangerous. We
can't call ourselves 1.1 until we implement at least all the required
ones, and no one knows what exactly those are yet..

I believe we should worry about Apache 1.1 right now, making the best
darn HTTP/1.0 server we can, and then after the final(ish) HTTP/1.1 spec
is done, we can make Apache 1.2 compliant with it. Or whichever.

--// Alexei Kosut // <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> // Lefler on IRC --//
-----------------// <http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut> -------//
"To get the full effect of Pat Buchanan's speeches, they should be
read in the original German." //--------------------------------------