httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: cache verification
Date Tue, 05 Mar 1996 20:06:09 GMT
On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> I think any piece of software that uses caching should adhere to the ttl value
> used in the implementation, in this case Expire and if users are getting out
> of date documents it's the fault of the person who wrote those documents
> because they didn't drop the Expire header, wait the Expire duration for all
> caches to time out and then put up the new document. That's how it *should*

I agree. That's not the problem. The problem is when there *is* no
Expires header. Currently the proxy module generates its own, based on
the Last-Modified header (*0.1 is the default), and uses that. The
probelm is *this* behavior. I agree that when an Expires header is
present, it should not check, but when one is not, it should always send
a conditional GET, just to check, since it has no way of knowing. This is
the way CERN works, and every other proxy I'm aware of.

--// Alexei Kosut // <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> // Lefler on IRC --//
-----------------// <http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut> -------//
"To get the full effect of Pat Buchanan's speeches, they should be
read in the original German." //--------------------------------------