httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Patches patched... or something
Date Sat, 02 Mar 1996 03:13:24 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

> > Well, here's my point - the way CVS works, each change, even if it applies
> > to multiple files, is applied at once. The script that mails changes to
> > apache-cvs, for example, mails one email for each commit, no matter how
> > many files. That same script could generate a CHANGES file, no?
>
> Hmmm good point.  I thought you only do one change entry per commit that gets
> added to a log file somewhere.  This mean if we want it to do the above (ie
> entry per patch ) then a commit can't contain more than one patch at a time.
> Semi-restrictive, specially since it's on your local system, but I guess we
> could live with it.  Anyone have a problem of limiting the number of patches
> to one per commit?

Well, I guess the question is: what is a "patch"? Apple recently released
what amounts of a patch (being a personal computer company, they don't use
that exact word) to the Macintosh operating system that's twenty megabytes
in size and replaces almost every single file. To look at how it's used, I
guess a patch is best defined as "a series of code changes that are made
at the same time." There threfore cannot be more than one patch per
commit.

At any rate, I suppose that's a minor nit. The files can always be
cleaned up manually for releases.

--// Alexei Kosut // <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> // Lefler on IRC --//
-----------------// <http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut> -------//
"To get the full effect of Pat Buchanan's speeches, they should be
read in the original German." //--------------------------------------