httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Patches patched... or something
Date Fri, 01 Mar 1996 19:38:56 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> I just re-read this and it's a bit of a funny case given my previous reply
> since the person who submitted the patch clearly had it working on their
> box but the person who was to put it into cvs found that it wouldn't work
> for them so didn't commit it.

Not quite. In fact, if it was just that, I might have patched it in. The
actual case is more complex: A week ago, when I was patching the patches
together just to see if they would, I found that the patch in question
did not work. There was a missing #endif, but more than that, both Rob
Hartill and I said that <paths.h> did not exist on HP-UX, at least.

So it's not that Aram didn't know that HP didn't have the file, he did
(assuming he read the mail). That's my real concern: that a problem was
pointed out, but was not addressed.

Oh, another CVS question: what are we doing about CHANGES? Some of the
people committing stuff today have updated CHANGES, some haven't. When I
put in the patches from for_Apache_1.1b0, I didn't, on the assumption that
the release builder (whenever a release gets made) would look at the RCS
logs and generate it from that. In fact, it could probably be generated
very simply. In fact, just taking the apache-cvs mail log and taking out
the SMTP headers would very nearly give you a complete changelog.

So the question is: what is procedure here? I vote for some sort of
automated, rlog-based approach. It just makes life easier, yes?

--// Alexei Kosut // <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us> // Lefler on IRC --//
-----------------// <http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut> -------//
"To get the full effect of Pat Buchanan's speeches, they should be
read in the original German." //--------------------------------------