httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject apache 1.0.3 / FreeBSD 2.0.5REL / virtualhost stuff (fwd)
Date Sun, 03 Mar 1996 20:44:29 GMT

Is this something that the bind enhancement in 1.1 will fix?  If so,
could the author (David?) get back to him?  Thanks.

	Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:54:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Mike Gogulski <syadasti@iag.net>
To: brian@apache.org
Subject: apache 1.0.3 / FreeBSD 2.0.5REL / virtualhost stuff

Brian,

Greetings!  All hail the benevolent Hyperreal chieftan!

Now, with that out of the way... :)

I've been using Apache now for many months, and I've run into a problem
that I haven't dealt with before, and I'm up against the wall here...
I don't know if you're the right guy to mail, so if you can forward this
if needed, I'd appreciate it.

Here's the deal:

486DX2/80 with 64MB of RAM running FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE.  I've now got
twenty Apache servers running on it, all under different user IDs so that
I can maintain security between different customers' servers.  I've got
one customer already who needed two domain names to be answered to by
their servers, and I used the VirtualHost stuff to accomplish that and
it works just fine.

Now I am setting up the *second* VirtualHost-ed Apache server, it's v1.0.3,
and I'm finding that I CANNOT make the server respond correctly to both of
it's IP addresses.  When I rework things in httpd.conf so that it will
answer to one address, the other address always responds with the fancy
index of the DocumentRoot of the OTHER VirtualHosted server, which is running
on completely different IP addresses!  The older server is running 0.8.14,
and I tried reversing things, getting the 1.0.3 working and that was just
fine, I could hit both document trees no problem.  I started the 0.8.14 server
AFTER the 1.0.3 and the behavior was the same, except now I can only access
one of the document trees on the 0.8.14 server.

Is this making sense?

I'm baffled.  FreeBSD should not be forwarding these packets to a web server
for which they're not destined, and Apache shouldn't be answering them!  Is
it illegal to run two VirtualHost-ed servers on the same machine?  Has this
cropped up before?  Is there a fix?  Am I going insane?  Aieee!

Thanks,
Peace,
Mike
--
Mike Gogulski <syadasti@{{iag,cat}.net,pobox.com}>, NetAdm
IAG ALSP FL USA 407{7861145(W),6827327(F),327CATS(H)}