httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject info on mod_auth_external.c in /httpd/incoming/ (fwd)
Date Sun, 03 Mar 1996 04:34:15 GMT

Ugh, I hate it when filters through messages into mailboxes you don't
check for aeons.  Could someone respond, and look into this/check it
out?  Sounds like it could be cool, though I would be very very wary of a
system() call.

	Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 22:45:25 -0600
From: Nathan Neulinger <nneul@umr.edu>
To: ftp@hyperreal.com
Subject: info on mod_auth_external.c in /httpd/incoming/

I uploaded a module I'd like to see included (you'll probably want to make
some minor changes to it though.)

Basically, it allows for the admin to configure external authentication
routines. The external routine is fired off with a system() call, with the
userid and password passed to it in the environment.  The return code is
checked for whether the authentication succeeded.

This is particularly useful for people needing to authenticate to services
that cannot be linked into the httpd server (eg. symbol conflicts).

-- Nathan

Add to Configuration file:
        Module external_auth_module    mod_auth_external.o

Configure the path to the authentication routine in the auth
subroutine below.

Usage in auth config files:

        AuthExternal external-name
        AuthExternal afs

Externals are passed the userid and passwd in the USER and PASS
environment variables, and return a success code of 0 to indicate
successful authentication.

If someone has a better way of doing this, I'd be interested to hear it.
Unfortunately, I can't link directly due to symbol conflicts in AFS and
SSL libs for DES stuff.

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org
WWW: http://pluto.cc.umr.edu      SysAdmin: pluto.cc.umr.edu