httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Schrenk <nschr...@neog.com>
Subject Re: Just when you thought you were safe
Date Thu, 07 Mar 1996 17:36:56 GMT
On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> I said ouch ... those spinning cogs make my eyes hurt. Damn things spin so
> fast over a good network as to make them a blur.
>
> What a huge waste of network bandwidth.

Actually, I believe that the speed of your network has very little to do
with how fast the cogs spin -- the animations aren't server-push
animations.  They are GIF89 animations; multiple frames are stored in one
GIF file and Netscape Navigator animates them locally.  The images are
repeatedly read from the cache and animated, but are only fetched from
the HTTP server once.  So the network bandwidth that is "wasted" is not
quite as severe as one might be led to believe...

Nathan

--
Nathan Schrenk						nschrenk@neog.com
Neoglyphics Media Corp.                              http://www.neog.com/