httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: CVS Read-Only Solution
Date Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:54:57 GMT
> Is this using a "real" server deamon? We don't run one at the moment and
> I haven't looked at that at all.

Yes, cvs-1.7 ships with something called pserver.  It is a password
server which authenticates a user.  The user must exist, but need not
have login priviledges on the server.  Information on how to configure
it can be had here: http://www.loria.fr/~molli/cvs/doc/cvs_23.html#SEC25

I asked Brian for a read-only cvs account on Hyperreal and he had some
reservations since I indicated I wasn't likely to do a lot of coding in
the code itself.  I am trying to come up with some solution which will
give me cvs checkout access.  How about a compromise solution then.
Run the pserver and give me an entry in the CVS passwd file.  This would
address Brian's concerns about giving out hyperreal shell accounts to people
who aren't core developers and it would let you track who is checking things
out and what they are doing.  You would still need to get brian to create
the account, but he it wouldn't be a login account.

I don't think the ftp snapshot idea is as useful.  I watch the cvs commit
messages on the mailing list and I often see something which may or may
not affect my module development.  I'd like to be able to request individual
patches.  Trying to hunt down changes from an ftp snapshot based on the
rather sparse info sent to the commit mailing list would be a nightmare.

--
Rasmus Lerdorf
rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca