httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: More compiler warnings
Date Sat, 23 Mar 1996 03:32:21 GMT
> > The man page for gethostname gives this prototype:
> >
> >    int gethostname(char *name, int namelen);
>
> gethostname(SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functigethostname(3B)
>                                                ^^^^^^
>                                           I wonder why that happens?
>
> NAME
>      gethostname, sethostname - get/set name of current host
>
> SYNOPSIS
>      /usr/ucb/cc [ flag ... ] file ...

That does not look like a Solaris 2.5 man page to me.  I have a very
vanilla Solaris 2.5 box here and the top of my gethostname() man page
simply states:

gethostname(3C)        C Library Functions        gethostname(3C)

I don't know what you are reading.

> NOTES
>      Use of these interfaces should be restricted to only  appli-
>      cations  written  on BSD platforms.  Use of these interfaces
>      with any of the system libraries or in multi-thread applica-
>      tions is unsupported.

And in the NOTES section I have:

NOTES
     Host  names  are  limited  to   MAXHOSTNAMELEN   characters,
     currently 256.  (See the <sys/param.h> header.)

Under SunOS I agree, gethostname() is in the bsd compatibility section,
but that is not so under Solaris.

--
Rasmus Lerdorf
rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca