httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject mod_proxy.c
Date Tue, 26 Mar 1996 19:59:41 GMT
I've just started to look at mod_proxy.c, and to fix some of the bugs.
Unfortunately, my braindead compiler doesn't do very good warnings. Could
someone remind me what the problems were, and I'll fix them (I remembered one
set, which I've already done, so please update your copy first).

One immediately obvious problem with mod_proxy is that it is using a flat
file layout - this is going to get slow.

The usual solution is to transform filenames into a directory heirarchy (i.e.
abcde becomes a/b/c/d/e) but this is not going to work with hashed filenames -
each file will almost inevitably get its own directory. Any thoughts?

I actually didn't see anything wrong with CERN's method (where
http://www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL, for example, is stored in
http/www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL).

What was the motivation for not using this scheme?

And, BTW, why do CVS commit messages take so much longer to arrive than
Apache list messages?

Cheers,

Ben.

London, England.