httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Status Module
Date Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:04:53 GMT

> 	I wrote such a thing some time ago. I should probably start
> making them "clean" and sending up patches for review.
>
> 	Anyway, one thing for "status" which I think would be Really
> Cool would be to have the status module have the actual request that
> is currently being processed. I tried to do this, and it looked
> *really* nice, but it caused multitudes of coredumps, and i didn't
> have time to futz with it to make it right. I'll upload it to incoming
> though. It uses basically the same sort of stuff this one does in
> making the scoreboard access routines visible.

This is something I intended to add during my review, but time was short, so I
didn't. But I will ... the main problem is that the URL can be very long, so
I'm going to have to chop it off somewhere. The real questions is, where? At
the beginning, the end, or in the middle?

Cheers,

Ben.

> > Ben has finished reviewing the Status module I mentioned on this list a
> > few weeks ago and made some great additions.  With the scoreboard files
> > now hidden away in shared memory it seemed a good time to release this
> > module (I've been using it since I wrote it in November)
> >
> > It is difficult for me to upload the patches to this list as there has
> > been a lot of changes to the Apache core code recently that have affected
> > the patches.  I will make the additions to CVS shortly to allow easy
> > testing but I'm willing to remove them before we go public with 1.1.
> >
> > Without changing the scoreboard file, the status module allows you to
> > examine the current scoreboard status and other simple statistics.
> >
> > With changes to the scoreboard file, the status module allows you to see
> > what each child is doing, how many hits it has had, the total access
> > count, the percentage CPU in use by Apache and more.  A number of months
> > ago there was mention that the scoreboard file should be kept small and so
> > I've made the scoreboard file changes a compile-time define. With the
> > increasing number of machines that can now keep the scoreboard in shared
> > memory this should become less of a problem.
> >
> > Modifications to core Apache
> >
> > 	A few new routines have been added to http_main.c to enable
> > 	a module to find out more data from the scoreboard.  A new
> > 	server state has been added to distinguish between "reading
> > 	request" and "serving request".
> >
> > 	A compile time define enables extra instrumentation inside
> > 	the scoreboard file.
> >
> > I've written some initial documentation,
> >
> > 	http://www.apache.org/docs/1.1/mod_status.html
> >
> > Mark
> >

> --
> Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
> Community ConneXion, Inc.			FAX:     510-601-9734
> The Internet Privacy Provider			Dialin:  510-658-6376
> http://www.c2.org/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.org

London, England.