httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: -Wall
Date Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:52:09 GMT

> I agree with all of your reasons for having -Wall on during *development*.
> I wouldn't write code any other way.  However, it does require hacks like
> -DSUNOS_LIB_PROTOTYPES (which you need to shut up -Wall under SunOS, but
> doesn't work with GNU libc) in order to get a quiet compilation; failing
> that, you get all sorts of bogus complaints.  You and I could perhaps
> learn to ignore them, but they can wind up looking awfully frightening
> to J. Random Luser who just downloaded the thing off the Net.
>
> So, my practice is to develop with -Wall on; in fact, every build taht
> I ever produced when I was building them myself was -Wall clean, and
> didn't go out if it wasn't, and I'm rather distressed to see code get
> committed which doesn't.

SCO 3 used a Microsoft compiler, which (surprisingly) produced lots and lots
of useful warnings at -W3. SCO 5 has a new "improved" compiler. The current
version of Apache 1.1 compiles clean at the highest warning level. Sigh. I
can't fix what I can't see. I have considered using lint to solve this, but,
as I'm sure you know, this is even harder that -Wall to make clean!

BTW, another "improvement" in the new SCO compiler is that -g switches off -O!
Very useful, I don't think.

Cheers,

Ben.

> It seems we only disagree on whether -Wall should be enabled (and
> "missing prototypes" supplied) in public distributions...
>
> rst

London, England.