httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: MD5 Digest auth and other things...
Date Fri, 22 Mar 1996 03:17:26 GMT
> I hope to have a new version of the modifications available later this
> evening. And I may take out the Content-MD5 header stuff. Does anyone see
> any real use for this? There isn't any real description I could find
> anywhere, save an example in the HTTP 1.1 draft (the actual section on
> Content-MD5 is marked "TBS"), so I'm a bit wary of including it. I only
> did because NCSA 1.5.1 has it, albiet only active with a #define. We can
> always put it back later, yes?

Calculating the MD5 is an expensive process, like parsing for META, and
thus should only be done if there is some kind of caching of the
values (as in a meta table, or .meta files).  In general, it would only
be generated by servers that *really* care about message integrity
or which already know it for free.

Content-MD5 is defined by RFC 1864 <http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc1864.txt>

....Roy