httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: PR & 1.1b1
Date Tue, 19 Mar 1996 17:06:42 GMT

>   Hmm ... how do you propose to do this "quickie" threading package? Will it be
>   any easier than porting pthreads? Why?
>
> My instinct would be to steal the context-switch code from pthreads (yes,
> porting where needed), but *not* to attempt to redo the thread-safe library;

Well, OK - I took a look at pthreads, briefly. I didn't find any doco on
porting - is there any? I'd like to take a look at the difficulty level before
agreeing to this approach (which I think is probably going to yield the
second-fastest but most easily derived from existing source).

> the whole point of keeping the thing non-preemptive is to be able to use
> the native C library without having to obsessively guard calls to it for
> potential critical sections.  Since the library is actually most of the
> pthreads code, this saves a *lot* of difficulties (and likewise with
> interfacing to third-party libraries which may not exist in a thread-safe
> form).

Hmmm ... does the C library wrapper take much porting?

Cheers,

Ben.

> rst

London, England.