httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES conf.h http_main.c mod_cgi.c mod_userdir.c (fwd)
Date Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:57:29 GMT

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > Please don't commit several changes in one go. You should make each change
> > and then commit, it makes it much easier to review (and undo if need be).
>
> Will do... It would be nice if the groundrule were written down and known
> before doing things, but when you're under the gun...
>
> > Also, I don't know how you achieved the affect you did in the log file, but
> > it ain't right; firstly, the list of changed files shouldn't be there (or
> > perhaps it should but it isn't usually), secondly, lines of minuses are going
> > to cause confusion, since cvs also uses them to seperate sections in a log,
> > and thirdly, "Committing in apache/src" as a log message is completely
> > pointless.
>
> Got me... I just filled in the form that was opening in 'vi'.
>
> > Also, how come there's that huge list of "No revisions" at the end?
>
> Ditto.
>
> > What exactly did you do to generate this commit message??
>
> Just filled in the form... At the end, added some lines about what
> it did.

Hmmm ... usually the log stuff is added at the beginning ... I wonder if that
is the problem? Or is it possible that you did something strange to the file
in vi (I hate that editor)?

Also, what was the command line you used to do the checkin?

> > Also, on matters of style - changing #ifdef ... to #if defined(...) is not
> > needed, so why do it?
>
> Cause it was needed... well, at least to be consistant (I assume you are
> talking about the FLOCK, FCNTL stuff). Since we needed to start using
> elif's then it made sense to change to ' if defined... elif defined... else'

OK, fair enough.

> > Oh yeah, one last criticism - detailed programming changes should not be noted
> > in CHANGES - only things which are likely to affect the end user.
>
> Gotcha...
>
> Anybody want to work on groundrules? If everytime I try do submit a
> patch I get messages about what I should have done without anyone
> telling me in advance what I should do and how I should do it... well...

I've added a RULES.CVS file - feel free to edit/update/delete.

Cheers,

Ben.

> --
> Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |      "That's a Smith & Wesson,
>   **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       and you've had your six"
>       Email: info@jaguNET.com          |             - James Bond
> ++    http://www.jaguNET.com/         +++      Voice/Fax: 410-931-7060       ++

London, England.